SOUTH EAST QUEENSLANDPetrie Paper Mill Development
Petrie Paper Mill Development
The Petrie Paper Mill has been a cornerstone project of the Masters Surveying South East Queensland office over the last decade, the site gradually growing into a modern hub of commercial, retail, residential and community zones, including the new location of the USC Moreton Bay campus.
Engaged initially by a long-term client (global paper manufacturer ‘Orora’), Masters Surveying assisted in the preliminary site works for the demolition of the historic paper mill structures. Housing a large amount of contaminated material as the result of legacy milling operations required a complex and lengthy rehabilitation process to deliver staged areas to MBRC for future building works. The process involved removal/treatment of contaminated materials and large scale bulk earthworks and our role quickly became one of Site Project Surveyor to the site superintendent/EPCM, lasting for a period of over five years. Masters Surveying therefore became an integral presence onsite for the duration of the remediation works, arguably also retaining the most established database of site information.
Over the course of the project, staff requirements grew to three permanent site-based team members who assisted both the EPCM as well as various primary contractors and subcontractors delivering site works. Permanent staff were also supported by additional project surveyors where required as well as extensive cadastral survey plans delivered at the request of MBRC.
The main site works involved:
- Remediation of the old Petrie Paper Mill site which involved extensive foreign material removal and processing (eg. asbestos)
- Large scale bulk earthworks to prepare staged ‘Prescribed Areas’ for handover to MBRC
- Construction of waste ‘cells’ in accordance with approved designs
- Modification of cadastral boundaries to facilitate area handovers
- Progressive design and re-design dependent on site conditions and materials encountered
Masters Surveying supported these works via:
- Setout and monitoring of all works onsite for both Contractor and Superintendent
- Monthly UAV flyovers for ortho-imagery and DTM creation – additional flights over selected areas as requested
- Monthly bulk earthworks capture and reconciliation of volumes
- Preparation of detailed remediation plans and cross-sections as requested by the client
- Preparation of GIS CAD models for current and future site planning. Dynamic updating of models
- Monitoring of pond areas for subsidence
- Registered Surveyor sign-off of all prescribed areas upon completion
- Extensive cadastral surveys including ‘first new plans of survey’ to define ambulatory boundaries of Yebri Creek and the North Pine River